The Marion Illinois Fire Department wants everyone to know the importance of notifying emergency personnel when there is a fire. A quick response by your nearest fire stations can make the difference between losing and saving your home. Fire is FAST and HOT! In less than 30 seconds a small flame can get completely out of control and turn into a major fire.
The most critical time in fire development is between ignition and the arrival of the emergency vehicles on the scene.
Please remember the following if there is a fire:
- If the alarm sounds…GET OUT AND STAY OUT. Never go back inside for people, pets or valuables.
- If you have to escape through smoke, GET LOW AND GO under the smoke to your way out.
- If you are unable to escape, the best strategy is to have a CLOSED DOOR BETWEEN YOU AND THE FIRE until firefighters arrive.
- CALL 911 from outside your home.
- Know your location.
- Stay calm and don’t hang up.
- Make sure children know their address in case they have to call.